Sunday, March 23, 2008

WORKS OF MERCY

WORDS OF OUR LORD TO ST. FAUSTINA

"I demand from you deeds of mercy which are to arise out of love for Me. You are to show mercy to your neighbors always and everywhere. You must not shrink from this or try to excuse yourself from it... Even the strongest faith is of no avail without works (742) ... if a soul does not exercise mercy in some way or other, it will not obtain My mercy on judgment day. Oh, if only souls knew how much to gather eternal treasures for themselves they would not be judged, for they forestall My judgment with their mercy (1317)."

The Corporal Works of Mercy

  1. Feed the hungry: "For I was hungry and you gave me to eat." Mt. 25:35

  1. Give drink to the thirsty: "...I was thirsty and you gave me to drink..." Mt. 25:35

  1. Clothe the naked: "I was...naked and you clothed me..." Mt. 25:36

  1. Visit the imprisoned: "I was in prison and you came to me." Mt. 25:36

  1. Shelter the homeless: "...I was a stranger and you took me in..." Mt. 25:35

  1. Visit the sick: "...I was sick and you cared for me..." Mt. 25:36

  1. Help bury the dead: "Amen, I say to you, insofar as you did it for one of these least of my brothers, you did it for me." Mt. 25:40

The Spiritual Works of Mercy

  1. Admonish sinners: "...there will be more joy in Heaven at the repentance of one sinner than at ninety-nine of the righteous who had no need of repentance." Lk. 15:7

  1. Instruct the ignorant: "Go into the whole world and proclaim the good news to all creation." Mk. 16:15

  1. Counsel the doubtful: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you...Let not your hearts be troubled..." Jn. 14:27

  1. Comfort the sorrowful: "Come to me, all you grown weary and burdened, and I will refresh you." Mt. 11:28

  1. Bear wrongs patiently: "...Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you." Lk. 6:27-28

  1. Forgive all injuries: "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Mt. 6:12

  1. Pray for the living and the dead: "Father, I desire that they, too, may be with me where I am..." Jn. 17:24

THE HOUR OF GREAT MERCY